Need ideas on how to get your kids involved in cooking? Here are 20 ways to cook with your kids!
Start with the Cooking Basics for Kids
1. Measure itTeaching kids to measure accurately is an important step in them learning how to bake. We cover how and ways to teach this technique in our kids cooking lesson manual
2. Pour itWhether it is pouring in liquid ingredients or making popsicles, learning to pour accurately will come in handy when cooking.
3. Stir it inStirring ingredients is a basic cooking skill children can learn while they are young. If you get them involved while they are young, this is always a good task for them. Any recipe will do that involves mixing with a large spoon.
4. Kitchen PrepTeaching kids that there is more than just jump into a recipe will help them develop better thinking skills. Start by finding a recipe and reading it through with them. Talk about what you need to prepare before starting. What kitchen utensils will you need to use? What ingredients do you need and do you have all of them on hand?
5. Meal PlanChildren need to learn what is involved in preparing meals not just being served. Here are some tips and ideas on meal planning.
6. Wash and PrepHaving a sous chef help beside you to wash and prep any vegetables and other ingredients, will give them more hands on experience with certain ingredients they may not want to eat. If you give them a chance to work with them and they may be more likely to try them.
Make Cooking Fun for Kids
Take cooking meals and recipes up a notion with experienced chefs by having an iron chef challenge. Just like the show pick 4 ingredients and place them in a basket or box. Children create their own recipe. Another similar competition could be trying our ingredient challenge.