Every household is in need of some quick meal ideas once in awhile. If you find yourself having a whirlwind night and you haven't planned ahead, these are some ideas to help your family dinner hour.
One Week of Quick Meal Ideas
- Omelets or scrambled eggs. Most people always have eggs on hand. Try adding vegetables, ham, cheese or leftover chicken. You can make dinner into breakfast by adding pancakes or bacon to go with the omelets or just serve eggs with toast, a fruit salad or a smoothie.
- Stir Fry. It is easy to keep a frozen bag of stir fry vegetables in the freezer or use leftover vegetables you have on hand and make a stir fry. Add some teriyaki sauce and a side of cooked rice and you have a quick meal.
- Tuna melts. Have a can of tuna in your cupboard? Make a tuna salad, spread on rolls or a slice of bread. Add a slice of cheese and toast in the oven several minutes. Serve with a vegetable.
- Quick chicken soup. Keep chicken broth or chicken bouillon on hand and you can create a soup in a hurry. To your chicken broth, add chicken breasts, 1-2 or however many you have. You can throw the whole breast in your pot and let it cook in the broth. Add a bay leaf if you have one and a quartered onion. Add noodles or rice to your broth and allow to cook while you cook the chicken. In last few minutes, add a bag of frozen vegetables. Before serving, cut chicken into smaller pieces with kitchen scissors.
- Pasta salad. Cook your pasta and add whatever meat and vegetables you have on hand. Drizzle with a vinaigrette or bottled dressing. We like to use cubed ham, pasta, cheese cubes, carrot pieces and drizzle with a small amount of ranch dressing.
- French bread or English Muffin pizzas. I love this one. You can use a loaf of French bread or English Muffin. If using French bread, cut down the middle lengthwise. Lay flat on cookie sheet. Spread tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce, whatever you have on hand. If using plain tomato sauce, sprinkle with oregano or Italian seasoning. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and add toppings. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and pizza is toasted.
- Spaghetti. If you have a jar of spaghetti sauce in the cupboard or homemade sauce in the freezer, you've got dinner in a hurry. Cook any type of noodles you don't always have to use spaghetti noodles try penne, fun shapes or bow ties for something dinner.